The minimum age requirement to obtain a driver’s licence is 16 years old.
For information on how to exchange a non-Alberta drivers licence, please see the information listed under Out of Province and Out of Country headings.
Out of Province
If you are applying for an Alberta Driver’s License and are coming in from out of the Province of Alberta, the following documentation must be presented
License from previous province or country
Legal Entitlement to be in Canada (bring in 2 of the following)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Canadian Passport
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship
- Permanent Canadian Residency Card
- Canadian Government Issued Photo ID Card
- Work/Study Permit
Proof of Alberta Residency
- Utility bill
- Telephone bill
- Bank Statement (must be mailed)
- Pay stub/ Letter of Employment
- Or other relevant document
Many jurisdictions have reciprocal licensing agreements with Alberta and Canada. Some do not. We will be able to advise you of any further requirements after we review your documents.
If under the age of 18, Consent for a Minor form will be required (must be signed in Registry Office)